This summer season, we are all aware of how hot the weather could possibly get. While there are the occasional out-of-town trips and delightful frozen treats, appliances such as air coolers and air conditioners are also used frequently to combat the scorching heat. However, not every household can use the air conditioner on a daily basis since it consumes a lot of electricity.
This is where ceiling fans are coming. Even during the old times, ceiling fans are a better companion to cool down homes for generations already. Not only is it very helpful in providing enough ventilation, it also adds a classic yet sophisticated touch to your home’s interior.
What To Consider When Buying Modern Ceiling Fans
It is more than just making your home design a bit luxurious; your ceiling fan can serve a dual purpose if you will partner it with an additional lighting kit and make the most of it than buying a separate fluorescent light bulb to illuminate your home at night. Nowadays, most appliance makers provide an accompanying lighting kit when you purchase a unit. You can choose between three kinds of lighting options:
- Dome lighting. It can either be a form of a mini chandelier or literally a reverse dome which you can place where the blades meet at the middle of the fan.
- Branched lighting. You can do this if the fan provides a space or two for tiny spotlights which is not necessarily located to the middle of the fan. Most of the time, these lights can be adjusted to lit up just a certain part of the room.
- Dimmer lights. This is a new style of lighting for ceiling fans. You can incorporate the dimmer function either into the fan’s wall or via separate remote control.
You can still ensure that you are getting the best out of your purchase by checking out the Energy Star ratings. These are certified ratings which are given by the US government, thus ensuring you to save more than just electric energy for your home.
Conventionally and traditionally, ceiling fans come along with pull cords that act as its switch to fully operate them. Now, recently released models have new functions such as wall-installed control and handheld remote controls are even available, making ceiling fans easier to use than before.
Despite how good-looking your choice of fan is, you must never neglect its motor system which is the most important thing when you buy ceiling fans. The size, power, and durability of its motor still matters since this will be the sole reason why ceiling fans should work properly according to their purpose.
A Quick List Of Buying Tips
- Get your room size right. To ensure that you will get the right ceiling fan for your room, enlist the help of a surveyor to measure the height of your room ceiling, and don’t forget to bring this vital information to the appliance warehouse so the sales staff can help you out with suggestions.
- Think ahead on the installation process. Once you found out the proper size for your fan, never overlook the actual installation process. This will be an easy step if you already have a fan of your own and you only require a replacement unit. However, if this is your first time to buy a ceiling fan, we recommend you to consult with a licensed electrician for additional tips on installing and billing codes.
- Check for technological upgrades. Over the years, not only the fans are improving in design but also in motor and technical aspects. The DC motors are becoming smaller and now uses less electricity compared to previous fan models.
- Check the Energy Star certification for lighting kits. Light bulbs provided in ceiling fans today have an average lifespan of 25,000 hours, especially when it comes with an Energy Star certification upon purchase. With this certification, you do not need to worry about changing bulbs for years.
Best Reviewed Modern Ceiling Fans on Amazon
We will close this article by recommending three of the best viewed ceiling fans from the popular shopping website. All of them are certified bestsellers, highly durable and cost-efficient for any homemaker on a budget. Happy shopping!
Hampton Bay Hugger 52-inch White Ceiling Fan
This unit appears to be low-profile but it is a good choice if the ceiling height concerns you. It features reversible blades, and the fan’s classic white design complements very well for most rooms. This is an inexpensive ceiling fan yet very efficient when it comes to performance.
Minka Aire F546-BS Brushed Steel/Silver Ceiling Fan
Purchase of this Minka Aire F546-BS includes 3-speed pull chain, light kit, and five blades. Along with its simple design, this one from Minka Aire has a simple design and easy to install. It moves quietly yet it moves air like a champ. Also, it is surprisingly affordable compared to other models in the market.
Litex E-UB48BC4C1 Urbana 48-inch Ceiling Fan
Purchase of this unit includes 1 x 60-watt candelabra bulbs and six-inch down rod with safety cable. It features sleek, brushed chrome metal finish on the fan body and a quiet motor performance. It also comes with a limited warranty of 15 years which saves you from further repair costs. It is truly a good combination of function, style, and value.